August 1, 2009

A Little Black Box - Part II

This is an old post of ours in the blog we previously contributed to.


This is a follow-up on the blog entry I posted a day ago on the little 'quantum tuning' black box from Happy Audio Visual.

A couple more days of listening to this 'quantum' box does not change my perception of its performance, it continues to be effective during night time at my place. I really love the way it freed my system from the effect of bad AC. A listening session each in the morning and in the afternoon also confirmed that its effect was not so pronounced at these time though there were still minor improvements, probably the Shunyata Hydra 8 could do the job appropriately and the AC quality wasn't so bad to start with.

As I am rather smitten by its performance, I made a call to the distributor, Mr. B.T. Gooi of Happy Audio Visual in Penang to find out more. Mr. Gooi turned out to be quite an affable guy. He confirmed that the unit is locally designed and made to his specifications by some electronics company in Penang (Penang has the reputation as the silicone valley of Malaysia). The price set is RM1,400/unit nett. Any out-of-towner who is interested may either call him (+60 4 2260179 or
+60 12 4703365) or email him at btgooi@streamyx.com. You can also find the link to Happy Audio Video's website on the right hand side of this page.

He also offered a few tips on the unit's usage. He said that the unit should be placed on the floor and in front of your equipment, not on the equipment rack and not at the back. This way, it would give the best bass performance and the most balanced sound. These sounded rather tweaky to me but I did try it out, and I preferred the unit placed on the floor as he suggested, the sound was more solid and denser this way.

He also told me that to get the maximum effect, 4 units of the 'quantum tuning' device should be used (gulp!), the sound quality would be transformed, according to him. Naturally I would like to take him up on this. Let's see whether we can do a follow-up later when he has more units to spare.

I'd recommend anyone who suffers from bad AC to check this little black box out.

21 December '08

No comments: