February 27, 2021

Man cave diversity

After the completion of the room setup for home theater, I am pretty happy with the result and watching movie is never the same again. At the same time, other part of me getting itchy again. I was thinking now about what I can do more. During this time, I was experimenting of some DIY players which I wanted to use it for music playback. It has been a couple of years trying many different solution but don't really find something I like. Finally found this little box. Inside this plastic box is a single board computer from Asus (Tinkerboard). With this I am more enthusiast about now in music. The thing is I still need a DAC for this to work. 



I started hunting around to see what I can get. I had an old Arcam Irdac but doesn't support DSD. During this time, I was also looking for some other hardware to replaced my integrated amplifier. I guess is the timing or coincidence but I bump into Wadia DAC. Personally I only know Wadia by reputation of being the leader in DAC. I had an audition in Perfect Hifi on the Wadia hook up to the KEF REF3 speakers. Just simply listening to it already make me want to just swipe my credit card and take it home. That is exactly what I did. Now the Wadia 322di is seating in my room, LOVELY.......


At the same time I also picked up the Audio Research from Perfect Hifi. The pre-amp LS25 tube pre which is what I need as I need the function of HT bypass as it will be use together in the home theater setup. As I still needed a power amp to complete the setup and I gotten a use Audio Research REF110 from a friend of mine. Now it is a complete set. This stack of hardware is pretty much dedicated to hifi use. This is also the point of no return in getting myself into the rabbit hole of hifi world.



Personally I think I still need to get some basic right before going further into more hardware. Lets get the fundamental which is the power (electric) right. I came across Frank Power bank during KLAV and I decided to give it a try. Frank Voon is really a very nice guy to deal with and he came to install the power bank into my room. Now I don't just love my music but is totally awesome. 



Now I feel like this is maximizing the room and also the speakers. I totally never regret in getting into hifi. Although a very good friend of mine did poison me about it. During this meddling around with cables (speaker, interconnect, power), even changing all kind sockets, plugs. The speaker also had additional 2 inch white oak plinth under to get better stereo imaging. Many other voodoo as well as it goes. Well this is all the fun part of the hobby. Hope you guys enjoy it. 



No comments: