February 7, 2021

First dedicated room setup

 After years of setup in my living room on the upper floor, finally I got a chance to get into my own dedicated room (Man Cave). It's a bit of a luck I found a house with good space to have a home theater room. The room size is about 10 feet x 17 feet. First thing was getting rid of all my old gears of Pioneer. Than came this white colour pair of B&W CM8 with matching center of CMC. Got it from the B&W showroom which is now located in the "Garden Mall". Back in year 2009 the set of speakers cost about RM12k, the price had gone like 40% up since than. Somehow I got a thing of white coloured speakers. Even till now , every speakers that I own are white.

Now the hardware that is going to be driving the speakers are non other than the famous EMOTIVA. This is my first experience with pre pro setup. The processor is the UMC-1 and the power amp is the XPA-5 gen 1. Bought it direct from EMOTIVA in the states and had it Fedex to KL. Currently it will be a lot easier to get EMOTIVA from Max Audio in Seremban. The processor is a 7.1 supporting DTS-MA and TrueHD with 3D passthrough. It uses the first generation of DIRAC auto calibration. Very good software I will say, although I know nuts about auto calibration still. The XPA is a 5 channel power amp with 200 watt per channel (All Running). Its definitely a power house. 

Now on the left side of the picture , standing tall is the non other than the SVS PC-12NSD subwoofer. Its a 12inch subwoofer down firing. Its cylinder just like a tall drum with its driver at the bottom of it. The sub is driven by 400watt of sledge amp of SVS. This sub had quite a small foot print as it is standing rather than a square box. Nevertheless it is a capable sub in rattling the ceiling. Will speak more about the ceiling rattling , which is definitely a mistake. Another topic to discuss next time.




On the back of the room is the surround speaker of KEF IQ-8. Its a di-pole speakers bought from highway laser. I couldn't find white colour on this one, so have to live with it. Being at the back of the room, unfortunately I don't have enough space to mount them on the wall so ended up on speaker stand. Also due to the narrow room, I have to put the case behind the room for all the movies. Many DVD still but the BD collection is slowly growing. Eventually all this DVD are dump few years later. 


From my previous living room setup still what it is now in this room certainly it has change significantly. Now I really love my home theater. Well the only thing didn't change was my old plasma TV. Eventually I got it upgraded as well from 50" to 65" plasma. Will share more upgrades next time.


No comments: