April 18, 2021

All Kuzma Experience, Kuzma CAR-30L MC Cartridge

Now that my Benz Micro LP has been relocated to my Linn Sondek LP12, I have to find another cartridge to go on duty in Kuzma Stabi S12 double plater turn table. After much deliberation, I decided to try the full Monty from Kuzma by going with the CAR-30L cartridge. The Kuzma range cartridge is based on the ZYX motor assembly, but with an added machined aluminum body, bumping the cartridge weight to 17 grams. At this point, not many tone arms can hold this baby steady any more, but my 12 inch Stogi can do so.  

The Kuzma CAR-30L outputs at 0.3mv and is considered the middle child in the Kuzma cartridge range. After mounting, aligning and setting the cartridge up to a tracking force of 2.2grams. I used the built in phono stage section of my Aesthethix Janus Signature pre-amp with a setting of 56 decibels gain & 126 ohms loading. Now, I can start playing some LPs.


The Kuzma cartridge range from CAR-20 to CAR-60. Only the top 2 cartridges are marked out by their colored bodies
The Kuzma CAR-30L cartridge, seen here with the stylus protector


What the Kuzma CAR cartridge looks like without the stylus protector. With an over square aluminum body, it makes setting up and cartridge alignment work super easy


From the get go, I found this cartridge to be completely neutral in tonal balance, very similar to the ZYX cartridges in which it is based upon. However, that's where the similarity ends, because the Kuzma CAR-30L will go low in bass and with absolute dynamics to match. This is a fast transient cartridge, very much in the mold of Clearaudio sound signature, but only with bolder and bigger stage scale. Vocals have a big bone quality to them in the flesh. High frequencies are extended, but never ear jarring. Very exciting introduction in to the full Kuzma sound of course!

However over time as the cartridge settles in, I slowly found the CAR-30L lacking in tonal richness, the very kind a person gets in to all the trouble that vinyl presents for. There's no warmth in the music what so ever to speak of. I also found myself wishing for more air, more ambience in the music. I need my analog rig to have some tonal color, rose bud tint if necessary, I also need some soul in my analog rig.

Another issue I found over time was that despite it's 17 grams heft, and a 2.2 grams tracking force, the CAR-30L did not track as well as my Benz Micro LP mounted on the 9 inch  Ittok tone arm. I am starting to think if it's the cartridge it self? Arm length factor, or uni-pivot vs gimbal factor in play here? I never got a straight answer as in most things audio. This was particularly evident when playing badly warp records, which I've got a few. In most cases, the very same LP which would result in the full Kuzma rig skipping a beat, the Linn combo set up would just cruise along, musically un-feathered. With it's weight advantage, I was initially expecting the Kuzma to be the clear winner here, but it wasn't to be. Hifi paradox in all it's un-predictable glory is truly evident here. After months of wondering what happened, I never found the technical explanation to rest my case.   

I know, the choice for a suitable cartridge in any system is a daunting search, made worse by the sea of cartridges available in all forms & prices. It's been a long time since I last did any cartridge shopping. This CAR-30L has shown me about all the things that make a technical argument compelling, but the music when playback trough this cartridge, just never touch my soul, or stirred my emotions. It does so many things right when dissected, yet music as a whole, never sounded full filing in anyways. It has lead me to wonder that if I crave for more tonal color, more warmth, more humanity in vinyl playback? I can only put it to a matter of personal preference. I also know a few others who are very happy with the performance of this cartridge in their analog set up, and it was in one of those systems that I heard, made my jump in to the all Kuzma analog source idea. In my system, this was not to be unfortunately. Overall I still think the Kuzma CAR-30L offered much technical performance, and hence much value for money too, but it just didn't give me the kind of emotional attachment or engagement that I am looking for in my music. 
Just a generic picture to illustrate the Kuzma CAR-30l cartridge mounted to the Stogi S tone arm and Stabi S9 turn table


I'll leave you with a song title by the rock group, The Clash. Shall I stay of shall I go? 

No comments: