July 9, 2021

IEC Socket Improvements?

IEC power socket

 


Typical standard factory installed power cord with molded 2 pin plug

 

As some of our avid readers will know that I have 2 cassette deck in my collection. I have a Teac V-670 & a Nakamichi DR-2. Both decks came with a standard factory power cable built in to the back panel, with molded 2 pin plug, as pictured above.

In my past DIY tom foolery, I also know that replacing that standard factory power cable with 2 pin plug with an IEC socket, which would then allow you play & experiment with power cords can bring about sonic differences or sound advantage. So I went about and did just that to both my cassette deck.

In any IEC socket replacement project, the major work is in drilling, cutting & filling out that rectangle hole, in which the IEC socket needs to sit in to. The Teac V-670, with it's plastic body & rear panel was a relatively simple task. All I need was to heat up my cutting knife and slice thru the plastic back panel to create the approximate opening, do so filling to even the finishing, solder the wires to the L &N pins of the socket, make sure to get the polarity right. Drill in 2 screw holes and use 2 pieces of self tapping screws to tightened and you're done! My work was completed in less than half a day.

With the Nakamichi DR-2 going thru the socket process is not so easy. Due to it's high build quality, the Nakamichi had proper steel 2U chassis, with a 2 layer steel back panel! I had to first drill, cut & file on the inner back panel as part of the 2U chassis. Then have to align the hole on the outer back panel, by drilling, cutting & filling over the same rectangle hole, but only this time, I need to be more precise as this is cosmetically exposed. It took me more then 2 days to complete the job!

Now that both the tape decks got an IEC socket, I can start to play with power cords. I had a piece of Gotham 85025 power cord measuring 1.5 meter & terminated it with US style NEMA-5 & IEC Copper Color plugs. These are realistically beer budget priced plugs with decent build & sound quality plugs. 


Copper Color power plugs, available in choice of copper, silver, gold or rhodium coating. IEC side is also available. Very good value for money to build & sound performance ratio. Serving most of my HT plug requirements now. Goes well with Gotham 85025 power cords too 


Now with my power cord completed, I can start listening for sonic bonuses. First up is my Teac V-670 cassette deck. Now with the capability to use the Gotham power cord, I find the Teac gave much better clarity and vocal focus. A layer of white or tape hash just wiped away. Highs are crispier, more well defined and bass is now less wobbly. The addition of the IEC socket & after market power cord brought a world of sound improvements to my Teac cassette deck!

Next to be played is the Nakamichi DR-2, now plugged in using the same Gotham power cord, nothing can prepared me the big counter surprise!  I was expecting some kind of sonic bliss, even if small, as from my knowledge, Nakamichi had a much bigger transformer & superior power supply design, with multi stage regulation. With an improved power supply in the Nakamichi, I was some how still expecting some improvement if not as dramatic in sound quality. I listened real...... hard, but I heard no difference what so ever in sound. I mean it still sounded as well as it could be, before or after the installation of the IEC socket & use of aftermarket power cord! However, as I listened on....... hoping to hear some sound difference, all I got was same old, same old, no better, no worse for sound!

So in the end I have to accept the conclusion that NOT all equipment may benefit from the fitting of an IEC socket or after market power cords. I think most do, but others like the Nakamichi do not. I think some equipment's power supply design is already well optimized, and will leave no scope of benefit from using after market power cord. Unexpected, but true!

And I just wasted 2 days of blood(really), sweat(elbow grease, lots) & tears(no sonic rewards)...........



                                                      

 

No comments: