May 6, 2021

Netflix here I come! Google Chromecast 3rd Gen

My kids have been subscribed to Netflix for a year or so, how ever so far they are only watching the programs on their smartphones. They made a request to Papa bear, so that they can watch Netflix content on the big screen, and what bigger than all of 120 inches of screen?

And off I went to KL's IT Centre, Plaza Low Yat for a solution. It was suggested that I need to get a Google Chromecast! And for MYR225/Unit, it was not too expensive either. Google Chromecast is a HDMI plug dongle that will go in to any of the HDMI ports of your TV and in my case AVR. I went home set up was indeed a breeze, as all I had to do was to plug in to an available HDMI port on my AVR, namely CBL/SAT. Connect the Dongle to the walwart power supply that came bundled in the package. My kids then went on to set it up with their smartphones. In 15 minutes or so we are watching movies on Netflix! 

Google Chromecast 3rd Gen


Set up was relatively straight forward, you basically follow the intuitive on screen instruction with a couple of "yes or no" choices and key in your wifi username & password, then TADAA! You've got Netflix, YouTube  and other contents on the net via your smartphone to your TV or AV system. One caveat though, you wifi signal needs to be strong in order for Chromecast to work. My AV room is located right at the corner towards the back of the house, so naturally wifi signal has diminished at this location. Hence another problem to be solved. I bought a TP Link AC 1750 wifi extender and problem fixed! 

This happens when wifi signal is weak

Watching Netflix or YouTube experience on the big screen depends very much on the file source available. On Netflix especially there some files source that is Full HD good and some at 720p. Streaming those 720p on my 120 inch screen looks pixelated and overall, not a good movies experience. Streaming Full HD with Dolby D+ as soundtrack, the movie experience comes close enough to BD level.

Now with Google Chromecast installed, family time during this MCO just got more intense, binge watching horror movies & series. The kids do love a good scare!   

No comments: